Saturday, February 4, 2012

Breakfast: fried egg on toast

Fried egg on toast

This morning I was craving Croque Monsieur, but I wasn't about to get out of my warm bathrobe and run to the store to get ham and Guyere. All I had was bread, eggs, parmesan, and mozzarella.

Nostalgic morning wishing I were back in Paris again.

Ingredients:

1 slice of whole grain bread
1 egg
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp parmesan
3 tbsp mozzarella
1 scant pat of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Put the butter on the toast and set it in the toaster oven just for 1 minute to warm the bread and butter. Spread evenly.

2. In a 1 quart sauce pan with a lid, put the oil in and turn stove on high heat.

3. Sprinkle parmesan on the toast, then mozzarella on top. Put it back into the toaster oven for about 4-5 minutes, until it is slightly crunchy.

4. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on the egg.

5. Now, your oil should be very hot. Crack one egg (or two if you're hungry) and quickly cover with the lid, leaving it slightly ajar**. Once bottom is crunchy, flip egg over for 4-5 seconds and quickly put your egg on the toast.

5. Break the yolk. Spread it all around, then devour.


**The trick is to leave the lid open so it doesn't fully cook the egg right away. I usually crack the egg into a bowl and use the bowl to dump the egg in so I don't burn myself. You are not making a sunny side up egg. You are making a fried egg, where the bottom and sides are crunchy, yet un-burned, and the egg yolk is still raw. This takes practice, believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...